In May 1928 two local businessman, Tom Kerr and Alex Robinson showed tremendous vision when they called a public meeting in the Sherwood Parish Hall with the aim of building a golf course.
This course was to service the needs of the residents of the Oxley, Sherwood & Graceville districts. Consequently, Oxley Golf Club was formed.
Kerr and Robinson secured an option to purchase twenty five acres of land on the Ipswich Road side and then applied for a lease of One Hundred and twenty acres of Crown land across Boundary Road.
A nine hole course was built immediately whilst the second nine holes commenced in 1935 and finished in 1937. This layout lasted until 1955 when it was changed so as to accommodate the position of the new clubhouse in 1957. A large dam was constructed and a year later money was allocated to reticulate water to the greens.
Eight years later, Oxley was one of the pioneer clubs when we installed a fairway watering system. Four years later the Club was fortunate enough to run a pipeline from the near by Bowhill Road Sewerage Plant.
The Club continued its pioneering spirit and in 1978 Oxley was one of the first Clubs to convert one of its couch greens to 328 Bermuda grass, through the expertise of the then Course Superintendent, Ian Earp. Over the next nine years using well known course architects Ross Watson and Burley & Berndt all of the other greens were converted.
The Course Layout was static until 2004 when another consultant David Burrup, built two new dams to accommodate the loss of effluent water and re-designed the 3rd, 4th & 12th holes.
Throughout the years, Oxley Golf Club has hosted numerous District, State and Australian Championships and in 2010 the course was selected as the venue for the Australian Interstate Teams Event.
The members enjoy a reputation in the golfing fraternity for their friendliness and their parochial club spirit which has a tendency to rub off on the new members.
Oxley Golf Club's deeds were recognised in 2002 when it was awarded the prestigious Club of the year award by the combined bodies of Queensland Golf.
Designed by Adam Parnell: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © The Oxley Golf Club 2009